Normative Technologies and the Web
Solid, credentials and DID
Acknowledges and works in the same problem space.
Some technologies are reused in Solid.
Some interoperability between them are likely.
The Case for Optimism
- Exponential data growth
- Often exponential uptake
- Incumbent's useful stuff is a small part of
- A thin layer on the Web
- Identity and authentication (currently based on
OIDC, designed to be open to others
- Authorization frameworks (WAC has
historical backing, ACP is new, possibly
- Knowledge graph
- Basic hierarchical data
organization, but open to better knowledge
- Verifiable Credentials
- Consent architecture (several
- Data validation
Personal Data Control
Will it set off a sociotechnological revolution?
Data Vault idea considered harmful
"The big bank vault" by BellaGaia
is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 2.0
How do democracies make these calls?
Norms can emerge in many different ways
Technology does set norms
- Anonymous vs pseudonymous or real
identity influences behaviour
- Balancing security needs.
- An algorithm optimizing for
engagement sets norms for public debate.
- Autonomous Weapon Systems decide
life and death
Technology creates de facto norms today
Introducing the concept of
- technologies that have the potential to set societal norms
- non-exclusive, everyone must have
access as a right
- open in the sense that everyone is
entitled to understand them and participate in their
- development must be guided by
legitimate governing bodies
- concrete implementations are
powerful, and therefore, it is important to have a tight
feedback loop between implementers and other decision
- citizens may reject technologies by
not using them
Permanent Societal Institutions
- Centre for Normative Technology
- Oversight body
Centre for Normative Technology Development
- To develop technology with a
democratic mandate rather a commercial one
- Very cross-disciplinary
- set up for practical
- not a research institution
- Legitimacy from Nation States or
similar, but with international technological focus
Societal Scale Technologies
Technologies that are foundational
Mechanisms for Good
Where this ends...
but this is where it starts!